Dry sauté the onion in a large skillet, non-stick if possible, until translucent, adding a bit of broth to prevent sticking. When light brown, add garlic, another splash of broth to deglaze the pan, then add the filling mixture. Cook until cauliflower is soft, stirring occasionally and adding broth if the mixture begins to get too dry. I like it a bit moist but not wet. This may take 7-10 minutes or so. Add lime juice, taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve in a bowl.
Filling: In a food processor combine cauliflower, mushrooms walnut pieces, chipotle chilis, cumin, and salt. Pulse until mixture is uniformly chunky, like ground meat but more course.
For tacos offer filling and other condiments in pretty bowls, buffet style
- 2-3 heated tortillas per person. I like Mi Rancho Organic gluten free corn tortillas. Make foil packets of 5 tortillas and heat in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or so. Pile in a basket.
- Lettuce or cabbage cups may be used instead of, or in addition to, corn tortillas
- Pico de gallo
- Vegan sour cream
- 1-2 avocados, thinly sliced (may let people scoop out their own slices from 1/4 – 1/3 shell
- Black olives-‘broken’ by lightly squeezing whole olives, or sliced
- Large jalapeno pepper, sliced thinly
- Chopped cilantro
- Green onions, sliced
- 1-2 limes, sliced in wedges
- Favorite store-bought salsa if desired
Complete this meal with more great recipes below. Just click the links:
- Pico de gallo
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Delicious Spanish Rice, Instant Pot or cooked conventionally
- Guilt Free Chocolate Pudding