Jill Nissinau’s Vegan Under Pressure
To get the creamy texture of conventional baked beans, be sure that the beans are well cooked before adding the other ingredients, which tend to toughen them up.
- Set the Instant Pot on saute and dry-saute the onions until lightly brown and translucent, adding water by the tablespoon if needed to prevent sticking. Add the beans, dry mustard, paprika, and bay leaf. Stir.
- Add the stock. Lock on the lid and set on 15 minutes on high pressure. If using kidney beans, set on 18 minutes. Let pressure come down naturally, then let beans sit 10 minutes longer.
- Taste a few beans to be sure beans are cooked through and soft squishy. If not, cook a few minutes longer on high pressure, and again, let pressure come down naturally.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Add the dates, tomato paste, molasses, Dijon mustard, and vinegar. Stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and let bubble gently for about 5 minutes so the flavors can blend. Adjust seasoning and add salt if desired. Serve and enjoy.