6-8 Servings. May be doubled and freezes well
- In a large stock pot, over medium-high heat, add chopped onion and let brown lightly, adding 1-2 tablespoons of broth or water to prevent burning, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, carrots, celery, and bell pepper. Cook until soft, about 3-5 minutes, adding a bit of broth if needed.
- Add cumin and paprika and saute until fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and tomatoes, then pour in vegetable broth or water and scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen any stuck pieces. Bring chowder to a boil and continue to cook until potatoes are soft, about 30-35 minutes.
- Whisk almond or oat flour into 1/3 cup of broth or water until smooth and stir into soup. Add the corn, bring to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk, lime zest and juice, and season with salt (if using), pepper, and cayenne (if using).
Serve hot and garnish with green or red onion.