This barbecue sauce has a fresh clean flavor. You can cook the remained down to thicken and use on sandwiches or wraps.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large saucepan and add onion and celery. Dry saute to lightly browned, adding a bit of water or broth to prevent sticking and to deglaze the pan. Add the peppers, tomatoes, dates, raisins, and water. Continue to cook reducing the heat to simmer.
- Add the mustard, lemon juice, tomato paste, molasses, ginger, garlic powder, chili powder.
- Cool a bit and carefully puree in a blender (vent the center of the cover with a pepper towel over it). Check to adjust chili powder, cayenne, or other seasonings.
- In a large casserole dish, combine the kidney beans and blended mixture to consistency that you desire, reserving about 1/2 -1 cup of the barbecue sauce for another use. Bake until heated through and bubbly, about 25 minutes.