1. Rinse dried peas well, and drain
2. On sauté setting, dry sauté onion, celery, and carrots, adding a touch of broth to prevent burning, until lightly browned.
3. Add all other ingredients except salt (if using) and pepper, and other end-additions. Stir to combine.
4. Close the lid and pressure cook on high for 12 minutes.
5. Quick release pressure 10 minutes after cooking is complete..
6. Remove bay leaves. Add lemon juice and any other seasonings you wish. Stir with a whisk to break up the peas. Add more broth if too thick. You may use an immersion blender to make the soup smoother. Enjoy!
For stovetop, use a 8 qt. pot and follow directions, adding 1 1/2 to 2 cups additional broth. To cook, bring to a boil after adding initial ingredients, turn down to a simmer and cook 60-75 minutes until peas are tender and are beginning to disintegrate. Add additional seasonings and enjoy!