- Rinse dried peas well, and drain
- On sauté setting, dry sauté onion first until lighly browned, adding a touch of broth to prevent burning, then add the celery, and carrots.
- Add all other ingredients except salt (if using) and pepper, lemon juice, and other possible additions.Begin with 5 cups of broth, and add more later if you like. [The soup thickens after cooking and I like a less-thick soup] Stir to combine.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on high for 12 minutes
- Quick release pressure 10 minutes after cooking is complete.
- Remove bay leaves. Add lemon juice and any other seasonings you wish. Stir and add more broth if too thick. You may use an immersion blender to make the soup smooth rather than chunky.
- Serve with cornbread of crusty bread, salad, and a side vegetable if desired. Enjoy!
For stovetop, use a 8 qt. pot and follow directions, adding 1 1/2 to 2 cups additional broth. To cook, bring to a boil after adding initial ingredients, turn down to a simmer and cook 60-75 minutes until peas are tender and are beginning to disintegrate. Add additional seasonings and enjoy!