Makes 8 cakes
Great as a snack, appetizer, or two for a main course.
- Place the garbanzo beans, heart of palm, artichoke hearts, and onion into a food processor and pulse to chop coarsely, to a crab-like consistency. Put into a bowl gently fold in the rest of the ingredients including a generous 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs.
- Place a piece of parchment or wax paper on a cookie sheet and scatter about 1/3 cup of the bread crumbs in 8 circles.
- Using a scant 1/2 cup of the mixture, form a ball and put on the cookie sheet over a circle of crumbs. Press to form a round patty approximately 3 ½” across. Sprinkle the top with the rest of the bread crumbs. At this point, if you have the time, it is best to refrigerate or put the pan of crab cakes in the freezer for about 20 to firm up a bit.
- Heat a high-quality nonstick skillet or griddle. You may wipe the pan with a paper towel sprayed with oil if desired. Cook over medium heat until golden brown on each side, approximately 4-6 minutes per side. Raise the heat a bit if it takes longer than this per side.
- Serve the hot with vegan tartar sauce, lemon wedge and chopped red onion if desired.
Watch me make them:
Vegan Tartar Sauce
1 14 oz pkg silken tofu
2 teaspoons dried dill, or 1 ½ tablespoon fresh
2-3 teaspoons pickle relish, based on taste
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice, based on taste
1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, based on taste
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt if desired
Process all of the sauce ingredients in a blender until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.