Inspired by budgetbytes.com
Cooking time 10-15 minutes after veggies are prepped
Use a wok, a large high sided skillet, or a dutch oven.
Spicy Coconut Sauce: whisk together and set aside:
1 13.5 oz can low fat coconut milk
1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (organic if poss.)
2-3 tablespoons Sriracha hot sauce
1 tablespoon date paste, 1-2 dates soaked and mashed, or 2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon Tamari soy sauce (organic and low sodium if desired)
2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
2 cloves minced garlic
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
2-3 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with twice as much water
[If you have Thai Green Chile Paste, add up to 2 teaspoons for even more flavor]
Vegetables for ‘Stir Fry’:
1 medium red or white onion, cut into chunky pieces
2 medium carrot, thickly sliced
2 medium zucchini, thickly sliced
1 red bell pepper, diced in chunky pieces
1 1/2 cups cauliflower and/or broccoli florets
10 oz sugar snap peas (strings removed if necessary)
1-2 baby bok choy, stems sliced 3/4″ and leaves sliced separately (or use more cauliflower or broccoli)
1 cup rehydrated shiitake mushrooms (2-3 oz dry) or 6 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced (optional).
1/2 -1 cup vegetable broth or water to use instead of oil for dry sauté
- Heat pan, then add onion and dry sauté until slightly translucent and lightly browned, adding abit broth or water to prevent burning.
- Add carrots to onions and dry sauté to soften them slightly, adding a bit of broth if necessary.
- Stir in zucchini, red bell pepper and cauliflower and/or broccoli florets with a bit of broth and coverfor 3-5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Stir in 10 oz sugar snap peas and the stems of the bok choy.
- Stir in the Spicy Coconut Sauce and the shiitake mushrooms (if using). Cover, and cook on medium
- just until sauce is bubbly and vegetables are a bit softened, but still brightly colored.
- Stir in bok choy leaves and cornstarch mixture and cook 2-3 minutes until sauce thickens slightly. Serve.
Serve on, or alongside your favorite rice or Asian noodles. May garnish with roasted & salted peanuts.
May toss baked cubed baked tofu over the cooked dish before serving.
See recipe under on nansimonsen.com under Main Dish